Friday, August 31, 2007

Java and More Java


Chihully Glass Museum

It has been a few days since I have arrived at my new home. I apologize for the slight delay in posting to the blog especially to folks who have been waiting for more pics of the journey across the country. My traveling buddy- Rick- has taken the photos en route and they are now posted on his Flickr account right here.

A few photo uploading glitches and waiting for new cable internet service also contributed to the delay. In addition, I wanted to take some time to drive around and get a lay of the land. I did need to pick up essential items such as a coffee pot! Living in the coffee capital of the world, I needed to get on the bus so to speak!

I am the type of person that needs to get organized and good to go as soon as possible. So, I have been spending the past few days un-packing. Unfortunately, the bad news is that most of my glassware and dinnerware was damaged by UPS! Box after box contained pieces of shattered glasses and plates. Even a box that contained some glass-frames with sketches was destroyed. It was even packed in bubble-wrap, but the frames were shattered to pieces! The damage even extended to one of my frying pans! The pan was actually bent and is now useless. Talk about force! It was a solid heavy pan. They were insured and I will have to file a claim with UPS.

The weather has been outstanding here. Blue skies everyday since my arrival. Yesterday, I had a chance to visit the Farmers market in downtown Tacoma. It was a great opportunity to sample what Tacoma has to offer. I also have been checking out the local eateries and the shops nearby. I will abstain from plugging the area for now...but here is some info and a link to a local festival that will be taking place in my neighborhood on September 8th just to give an idea of the great community spirit.

Walking around with Milo in the neighborhood has also given me a chance to see the homes that surround the area and meet the neighbors- especially those with dogs. Milo has never had a yard for his use. So far he has been enjoying the yard but seems to wait by the door a few times for me to let him back in the house. He has had to adjust to the other dogs barking at him as he walks by there yards! In turn, he has taken note of his new home and now barks when he sees someone walking up to the house or even passing on the street. Hopefully, he won't become a nuisance and disturb the neighbors.

I will be spending the next few days continuing to get organized plus I will be off to the Seattle area to play tour guide(?) for Rick. He also wants to check out Seattle Public's main library. He did get a chance to visit the main library at Tacoma Public yesterday when I stopped in to say hi.

Enjoy the pictures and stay tuned...

No comments: