Thursday, July 26, 2007

Brunette 1, Blond 0


To All,

It is with mixed emotions that I announce my departure from CNN, effective Thursday, August 2nd. I'd like to take this opportunity to express my tremendous respect for my good friends and colleagues, their talent and high standards.

It's been an extraordinary journey since my first day on the job, September 11th, 2001. During my 6 years with CNN, we've covered the war in Iraq, the devastation of Hurricane Katrina, the death of a Pope and the massacre at Virginia Tech. I am enormously proud of the work we've done covering these stories as a team.
Now is the right time for CNN and me to move ahead on different paths. I wish good luck and success to everyone I was fortunate to work with. And for the first time in 30 years, I plan to take a break between jobs and catch my breath before I take on my next role.
- Paula

As reported here on June 17th, one of my favorite TV news anchors, Paul Zahn, resigned from CNN yesterday. The news of her departure was of interest to many- primarily due to the speculation that she had no choice. Both TVNEWSER and The Huffington Post, report that she was literally reading about her fate via the media. Coincidentally, Campbell Brown, from NBC's TODAY SHOW, signed a lucrative contract with CNN the day before Zahn's resignation email (above) was sent out.
For those who did see Brown's on-air farewell this past weekend on the TODAY Show, she was smart in not mentioning where and what she would be doing. A very smart decision since she did not sign on the CNN dotted line until the other day.
It is uncertain who will replace Campbell Brown on the today show or what Paul Zahn will be doing after her departure from CNN? Maybe she should start a blog?

No comments: